Get excited and save the date! August 26 is 826’s Youth Literacy Day, and this year we’ll be celebrating by releasing the tenth-anniversary edition of our 826 Quarterly, featuring the best of the best of 826 Valencia’s student writing. We’ll share more information about the release party soon!
In the meantime, here are ten reasons to get excited about this 826 Quarterly:
1. There’s a poem called “Love Blah, Blah, Blah.” There.
2. A foreword by the infamous Lemony Snicket, author of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Yes, it’s wonderful.
3. This edition is a collection of our favorite pieces from the quarterlies published from 2002 to 2012, so you know it’s all top quality.
4. An introduction by 826 Valencia’s co-founders Dave Eggers and Nínive Calegari.
5. This quarterly is illustrated by Angela Dominguez. Check. Her. Out.
6. “Not Your Regular Mermaid Article” by Ava Lynch, starts out like this: “If you think this is one of those regular articles about mermaids, then you really shouldn’t read this at all, because this is about different kinds of characteristics of mermaids and where those characteristics come from.”
7. 826 Valencia students introduce each section of the book. Sometimes they get off topic, but we sort of enjoy that, and we think you will, too.
8. Some of the students published in this book are now adults. At the release party, you’ll get to hear these adults reading work they wrote in high school or middle school alongside actual middle and high school students. You may find this juxtaposition amusing.
9. Do you love baked goods? The President Needs $14 Trillion and Fast by Marnie Hatch’s class features an epic bake sale. We are going to recreate said bake sale at the launch.
10. Artist Manny Silva will be drawing things for you. Live! Come to the launch of our brand new quarterly!